As I posted previously, this is the beginning of my journey to a more plant-based diet. I am really looking forward to feeling as though I am doing something that will make a positive impact on the environment, as well as myself.

Although there is a potential I won’t be consuming the same variety and quantity of vitamins and nutrients that I would in a meat/dairy-rich diet, I can always supplement these and I think the benefits will outweigh this drawback. I am hoping to see improvements in the quality of my skin – since dairy often has hormones that can contribute to acne and inflammation – to reduce my risk of cancer, to help lower greenhouse gas emissions, and to reduce the number of animals harmed to create meat and other animal by-products.

I’ve researched several meat replacements and found that tofu, tempeh, mushrooms, jackfruit, eggplant, lentils, beans, cauliflower, nuts, and beets are all full of nutrients and can be made to resemble many of the textures and flavors in meat. I’m super excited to start experimenting with some of these new ingredients and have already begun to look for new recipes I can make!

I’m hoping to start off my journey by dedicating myself to eating no meat at least three days a week, as well as making one recipe that involves a plant-based protein substitute. I often make stir-fries because they are quick and easy, so I might try to make tofu to go in a meal like that!

I’ll keep you all updated on how this first week goes.