This field trip was such a unique experience!

Learning about the inquiry-based educational system was both intriguing and enlightening. Although I still have a lot of questions about how the school fully functions, the Principal, Jeff Hopkin, did an amazing job sharing some of the school’s main goals, principles, and methods. He was so visibly passionate about the school and clearly believes in its ability to better children’s education.

I found it intriguing to see how affordably budgeted the school is, how personalized all the students could make their learning plans, as well as how the teachers’ role within the school differs from regular schools. Coming from a traditional public school background, I was intrigued by the approaches used here and the different standards they attributed to education.

One of the students working near our presentation shared her views on public school teaching and described how PSII had embraced her learning styles and adapted to her needs in ways that other schools never had. It was neat to hear firsthand how the school was benefitting its students; however, I still wonder how PSII ensures all of its pupils are on task, achieving their learning goals in a timely fashion, covering all of the curriculum competencies that BC’s Ministry of Education requires, as well as how students with diverse abilities and needs are accommodated in the school – seeing as there didn’t appear to be any extra teachers or student assistants.

All in all, I had a great time here and would love to further explore the notion of inquiry in education.